To fix the metal, the self-tapping screw can make your life easier. Here’s everything you need to know about these particular screws.
Category: Tools / Bolting
Area of application: metal fastening
All about the self-tapping screw
What is a self-drilling screw?
When we need to fix a metal, we must first point it out (mark the location of the hole), drill and finally hit the support. With the self-drilling screw (also known as the self-drilling screw), the screw takes care of almost everything.
The self-drilling screw is made up of three different parts, each of which will play a defined role:
- Drill bit tip pierces metal, extends through slot to clear out metal debris
- Wider helical body allows it to adhere to metal for fastening
- Finally, the flat head offers maximum contact surface with the support.
As we just saw, the self-tapping screw is the all-in-one metal fastener and can save you a lot of time by not having to change machines or the tip of each screw.
The other advantage lies in the precision, with the self-tapping screw, it is fixed as soon as it is in position, avoiding unwanted movements.
Areas of use
What I just told you, it doesn’t matter if I tell you that self-drilling screws are designed to secure metal.
As for the materials it can fix, the self-drilling screw can be used on sheet metal, aluminum, steel, etc.
So for example we can use it:
- In mechanics: to join body parts or in washing machine
- For doors and windows: to fix the frame
- For heating: to fix aluminum ducts.
The different types of screws
Self-drilling screws, which are usually found in DIY stores, are made of steel, but zinc / stainless steel is also possible.
So if you want to be serene, go for a galvanized one, it will stand the test of time better.
Regarding the shape, there are all lengths, for the head, the choice is also quite wide: wide, round, countersunk, hexagonal … Personally, I prefer hexagonal screws, it offers a good grip for the screwdriver , which facilitates its screwing and unscrewing without damage.
Self-tapping screws are found in all brands of tools, such as Spax, fischer, etc.
How to use them?
Using a self-drilling screw is super simple, here is an example of how to do it:
- Put the metal plate in place and hold it there.
- Using a screwdriver (drill or screwdriver for the bit suitable for the screw head, place the self-tapping screw vertically where you want to fix the metal.
- Start screwing by pressing firmly and continuously.
- The tip of the screw should pierce the metal and begin to sink in until the head reaches the bracket.
To use a self-drilling screw, you will need:
- Screwdriver bit
- Bosch 2607017164 43 Piece Bit and Socket Set Price: EUR 20.39 Reserve price: EUR 32.18
- DT71572-QZ Set of 45 high performance screwdrivers Price: 13.69 EUR Old price: 23.68 EUR
- Hitachi KC18DJLF Drill Driver 2 x 18 V 2.5 Ah + 100 Accessories Price: 175.18 EUR
- Plasterboard screw
- Concrete screws
- Torx screws
- To screw
- Screw extractor
For all DIY jobs, remember to use the proper guards.