If the mailbox is locked or if you have lost the key. Here are some tips to take it apart and then change it …
DIY Category: Mailbox Lock
Difficulty level: 1/5 (1/5 is very easy)
Duration: 30 minutes of work to dismantle and change the barrel. a mailbox lock
Have you lost your mailbox key or is it locked?
It is most likely that a mailbox is blocked, we cannot say that it is the most secure system, so its replacement is very easy.
The steps to follow to change a locked mailbox:
Before fitting your new lock, you will have to dismantle the old one or even force it, if you no longer have the keys.
Forcing a block of this type is not very complicated, but depending on its quality, forcing may take longer, here are the steps to follow:
- Put on gloves and safety glasses.
- With a drill, at least 14.4V, fitted with a metal bit, or even a tungsten carbide bit, stand perpendicular to the lock and start with the lock by drilling it.
- As soon as you have passed the lock, the door should open without difficulty.
- Remove all parts from the old lock.
Dismantling of the previous block:
I know I lock the mailbox from the inside, you will not be able to solve it without damaging it, if it is on the outside (how lucky :-)) there are no more disadvantages.
- Open the mailbox.
- Unscrew, with a key, the nut that holds the lock to the letterbox door, to unscrew a rusty nut, you can use a rust remover.
- Remove all parts from the old padlock.
Put a new lock:
Once there is free space, you can mount the new lock.
- Put the lock on the door.
- Always test the key before closing it. Position the barrel and check that the door can be closed.
- Then tighten the nut with a wrench.
- Your new mailbox is installed.
The necessary tools:
- A new drum.
- An Allen key of the correct diameter, otherwise a wrench.
- A drill (optional).
- A metal wick (optional).
- Nonstick (optional).
Some products are dangerous: follow the precautions for use. When working with electrical devices, remember to use the appropriate protections.